Feb 15, 2006

I'm sewing up a storm here.

Is there such a phrase? Sewing up a storm? What I mean is, I've been doing some sewing projects. I borrowed a book from the library (by the way, if you haven't been to your local public library in a decade, I highly recommend visiting one and while you're there, might as well get a library card) entitled "Sew Sensational Gifts" and it has some ideas that I want to do. NO, I won't start sending these out as presents, it's for me.

I did an apron for me and Gary. I'm so tired of finding grease spots in our clothes. This should put an end to it. Now, how to convince Gary to use it. Then, I lined these woven baskets that I got from a bazaar. We use these baskets as a catch-all for items that can be easily misplaced or just sit on top of the table or counters, (I hate clutter). Now, we know where our keys, wallet, lighter are. Those baskets were a good find, $10 for 5 baskets and they have a lid, only thing was it wasn't lined. Well, not anymore.

Today, I'm making a beach bag. Our beach bag is 4 years old. It's packed and ready to go. It has our flip-flops, swimsuits, towels, sarong, floaties, and sunblock. It's for those oh-so-rare sunny days and we want to head to the beach, I don't want to waste my time looking for things. If we want to go to the beach, 5 minutes and we're out the door. Might as well, it takes about an hour to get to the beach.

Other things I want to make:

1. Travel toiletry tote - to replace my emergency overnight bag in the car. I don't know where we were but we were in one of our last-minute trips and it was getting late and we didn't want to go home but we have no choice but to. The next day, I bought travel-size shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothbrush, and toothpaste, then added razors and change of underwear. That's our emergency overnight bag. I think we've used 2 or 3 times now.

2. Glove compartment organizer - who doesn't need one?

3. Portable clothing valet - maybe this one is just plain silly, but unpacking for 3 is a pain in a butt. Now, if I make 3 of these valets, I could assign a valet per person, and then when I unpack I don't have to search where is whose. All I have to do is grab the valet and Voila, I'm unpacked.

The only problem with these projects are the materials needed. I've never heard of them until now. Cloth pack and grosgrain ribbon. I did a quick research and as it turns out, they are materials used in backpacks. I could order them online but I might have tire of the idea by the time they get here.

Now, there are other projects. Girly projects. Dresser tray, drawer liner, hang-ups. Not really to crazy about them but I just might try it one of these days. It's 5:12 am. I don't know how much sleep I had last night but I got so tired of trying to go back to sleep that I gave up around 3:30. I cut out the fabric for the beach bag and then tried to figure out how to add pockets. Now, all I need is to make the fabric stiff!

No comments: